Research has found that parents can have an enormous influence on their children’s drinking and drug use, especially during the preteen and early teen years. This is supported by 2015 Healthy Kids Colorado Survey data, which found:
● Youth who can ask a parent, guardian, or other adult for help are 1.5x LESS likely to binge drink.
● Youth are 3x LESS likely to binge drink if a parent feels it’s wrong.
The Speak Now Colorado website provides expert advice and resources for parents of kids 9-20 years of age, and is available in English and Spanish. The site has conversation starters for parents to consider when discussing parties with their kids, or if their child asks about their own use of drugs or alcohol. The site is also useful in helping parents to:
● Identify high risk behaviors
● Understand Colorado laws and punishments for possession, use, impaired driving, etc.
● Learn how alcohol and drugs can affect their child’s developing brain
For more information, and for downloadable resource materials such as fact sheets, posters and social media images, go to www.speaknowcolorado.org.